C. H. Knight Block

Currently, a “block” in town means the section of town between two streets.  In the late 1800s and early 1900s when one heard a new “block” was being constructed in town, the reference was to a building containing a block or group of two or more businesses. For example, in 1887 the C. H. Knight Block was constructed with three businesses on the ground floor and seven office spaces on the second floor.  The three businesses in the C. H. Knight Block were the BRATTIN Jewelry Store, The Bee Hive (a shop where ladies’ dresses were made to order), and Union Billard Hall.

Prior to becoming the location for the C. H. Knight Block, a hotel stood on the southeast corner of Main Street and Franklin Street, in Brazil, Indiana.    J. G. ACKELMIRE purchased the hotel and moved it to a vacant lot on Sherman Street, where he converted it into a residence.

Today the former C. H. Knight Block building houses Lynn’s Pharmacy.

Clay County Indiana