Stearleyville

STEARLEYVILLE

Stearleyville, a town-site, station and former post office in the south part of Jackson Township, on the line of the Center Point division of the Vandalia Railroad, two miles north of Center Point, so named for the reason that is was founded by George STEARLEY, on his premises in 1891. The post office was established in 1892, and discontinued in 1902, succeeded by rural delivery. The postmasters were James T. CARRITHERS and Edward SHULTS. The first business house was erected on the south east corner of the crossing, on the premises of Dr. B. F. HOLMES, which was burned several years later, when STEARLEY put up a business room on the opposite or northwest corner of the crossing, which is still occupied. The merchants of the place have been Edward ARNINK, John HOFFMAN, STIGLER Brothers and Edward SHULTS.  A German Reform Church was erected here, known s St. Peters, perhaps prior to the founding of the town-plat. Pg. 170; Travis, Vol. 1