POLAND COMMUNITY NOTED FOR THRIFT
(October 1925 Centennial Brazil Daily Times)
Cass Township, with Poland as its community center and trading point, is remarkable for its thrift and for many years has been without paupers, persons needing poor relief and delinquent taxpayers. The fertile farmlands, among the best of Clay County, produce bounteous crops, and this little township does considerably more than its share in feeding the rest of the world.
The town was formed in 1841 when John B. NEESE, John CHANCE, Isaac ANDERSON, and James CRAFTON, whose property abuts the cross roads, laid out a town site and christened it Poland. The settlers were largely German, and they have made prosperous, law abiding, and loyal citizens. During the World War this little division was a delight to Liberty loan workers because of the promptness with which they “went over the top.” The town has been a trading center for many years and has had good stores. Early in the (eighteen) fifties the town incorporated and took a vote on the “wet” and “dry” question; it was the first town in western Indiana to become “dry.” It was, therefore, an advance agent of prohibition. A few “wet” places appeared later but did not exist long.
The county agency for the popular Star automobiles is at Poland. D. E. WOLVERTON is in charge. Mr. WOLVERTON is a progressive salesman and is pushing distribution of these cars.